Thursday, 24 January 2013

Cafetiere Cosy Tutorial

I'm no big coffee drinker, I like it well enough, but I live firmly in the 'nice-cup-of-tea' section of the world.
Dave, on the other hand, will drink it like it's water, at all times of the day and night!  

This DIY is for those of you who, like Dave, love a cup of real coffee.


You'll Need:
Two pieces of fabric, aprox 30cm x 15cm
Wadding the same size
Half a meter of bias binding
two buttons
a length of ribbon about 15cm long
sewing machine and coordinated thread



1. Layer your fabrics and the wadding so the fabric sandwiches the wadding and they are right side out.

2. Quilt your sandwich together, you can do any pattern you fancy.  I did diagonal lines in two directions so they formed diamonds- really pretty.



3. Cut out a rectangular shape with rounded corners from this piece of quilting.  I used a Word document to provide a template from the auto-shapes.  Measure the circumference of your cafetiere to make sure its the right length, it needs to be 1-2 inches shorter than the circumference.


4. Pin your bias binding as shown in the above picture to one side of the cosy and sew along the fold line.  I found a great tutorial from Smashed Peas and Carrots Blog, I hadn't realized this is how to use bias binding!



5. Fold the bias binding over so it covers the ugly edge and sew it down.


It should now look like this.



6. To finish, make a loop with the ribbon and sew it on one of the short edges with a button covering the cross.  On the opposite short edge sew the other button.


And that's it! Your done!

This took me less than a hour to make and it made a lovely gift for my friend as a belated Christmas present!

9 comments:

  1. This is super cute! Thanks for sharing this at The Weekly Creative :)

    Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I found you on Aloha blog hop, I'm your newest follower. :o) I love this cafetiere. Also, I am doing a bit of sewing from Cath Kidston's Sew, check out my newest post!! I know what you mean, the instructions are not easy. Maybe we could follow each other?

    Sarah www.lookingasuare.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Its great to have you following my adventures! I'd really like to get to know you better, and certainly will be checking out your blog :)

      Delete
  3. I love the idea - we're a tea drinking bunch as well, but I could make a tea cosy as well... though it would require some patternmaking skills. Still. Lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see If my tea cosy is what your looking for, it's on my popular post widget in the right:) Glad I'm inspiring you too:)

      Delete
  4. That's so cute! I prefer tea as well but a cup of coffee once in a while is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! You just cant beat a nice cupa tea, can you? :)

      Delete
  5. These are amazing. I wouldn't mind selling a few of them on www.nudecoffee.co.uk - if you are interested? we are looking to sell cafetiere's so it might be a natural progression. let me know.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...