Wednesday, 2 January 2013

Guest Post: Anna's Bread Cover


I'm taking two weeks off blogging to write my end of semester essays, so I leave you in the hands of some of my favourite bloggers, to entertain you while I sit in the library, pulling my hair out and trying not to fail :D

Today, I give you a guest blog from Anna, from www.sewsewetc.com.  She makes tones of lovely things, both sewn and knitted, so go check her out once you've read this!
Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My mom has always loved a pretty table.  Placemats, tablecloths, cloth napkins, you name it.  She even likes to coordinate the bread basket with everything else.  She's been making these simple, reusable bread covers for years, and now I make them, too!  I mean, why line a bread basket with an old dishtowel when you can whip up one of these pretty cloths in a short amount of time?  This project is a great way to showcase a fun, novelty print that you're not quite sure what to do with.  Wrapping one of these around a loaf of homemade bread also makes a great little gift for your neighbors.



You will need:

- a yard of cotton fabric (you'll have some leftover)

- coordinating thread

and that's about it!

Cut your fabric into a 22.5" long by 45" wide piece (hint: most fabric is already 45" wide).  To get a nice clean edge, I like to nip and rip.

See? Make a little nip in the selvage edge with your scissors...


and then rip along the raw edge.  It'll be straight, I promise.


 There it is.  A nice, clean raw edge.


Now, with right sides together, fold your fabric in half, matching selvage edges.


About 1/4 of the way up the selvage edge, begin stitching, pivoting at the corner and stopping when you reach the fold.  I used a 1/4" seam allowance, but use whatever you're comfortable with.  It should be fairly narrow.  Remember to backstitch at both ends!



I used a dark red thread here to try and make the stitching more visible to you, but it's still kind of hard to see.  Squint!


Now repeat the same step on the other side.



You should have an opening between your layers of fabric.



Trim your corners.


This will ensure nice, sharp corners rather than wonky, rounded ones when your bread cover is finished. Trim the corners of the fold edge like this:


Be careful not to cut into the fold.  You don't want a hold in your nice new bread cloth, do you?

One more stop to trimming, and then we'll move on.  Trim the opening between your two layers of fabric like this:
(ugh, please excuse my ironing board cover.  I really must get a new one.)


It'll look slanty.

Trim the other side of the opening in this way also.


Now it's time to turn your cover right side out!


Uh, don't leave it looking like this.  Neatness counts!  I have a handy dandy little tool that helps me turn out my corners nice and sharp.


A bodkin!  It's basically a thing metal rod that's rounded at one end.  Use the round end to push out your corners.  You could also use a chopstick.


Corner before bodkin:

and after!


Nice and sharp.



Now it's time to give everything a good press.  Remember how I had you trim the opening?  This is where that particular step comes in handy.  Before you press, your cloth probably looks like this where the opening is:


It kinda sticks out.  Because you trimmed away the corners of the opening beforehand, it'll be a lot easier to sort of tuck in as you press.


See?


You can hardly tell it's there, which will come in handy when you're ready to topstitch.

Which is now.

Close to the edge, topstitch all the way around your cloth, being careful to stitch the opening closed.  I used gray thread so you can see it better.


Give the whole thing a good pressing (because I'm all about the iron), and that's it!


Use your cloth to line a basket or bowl, and fill with warm bread, crackers, muffins, what-have-you.


Done and done!

2 comments:

  1. This is such a cute little project! I'm keen to give it a go now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! So nice to come back to the blogging world with some awesome tutorials to enjoy:D
      Freya May

      Delete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...