Monday, 28 January 2013

Vintage Pattern, Totally Modern Tshirt

I picked up this fabric from my favorite fabric stall on Leicester market.  The pattern caught my eye and as I've never worked with jersey material before so for £4/m I had to get some.

I used this simplicity pattern, which dates back to the 1960's.  It's so simple, just two main pattern pieces and the facings for the neck line, which I chose not to bother with.



I've had this pattern for a while, and it's perfect for this, except it is a couple of sizes too big!  This was a nice oppertunity to have a go at altering a pattern for the first time.  I'm not talking anything overly complicated mind.  All I did was fold two half inches out of each pattern piece, one on the sholder and one along the neck line, so four inches were taken off in total, taking me to a size 34.

Check out the finished top!


It's super cute, right!  I'm going to make a few of these as it worked out so well.  I love the drape of the jersey, and it's so light and comfortable.  So far I've worn it twice already! As soon as it was out of the wash I put it on again- totally love it!

I also had a go at squeezing one out of a half meter of linen, which didn't work out so well.


In squeezing the pattern on to the fabric, I took of another half inch or so, which in this fabric made it just a wee bit too tight.  I can get it on, but then the drape isn't so nice, and it isn't comfortable.

I'm just disappointed, I know I wont wear it.

I'm thinking a few more jersey shirts then, maybe have a go at one made out of translucent lace? Or a soft, drapey sheer fabric would be super cute for the summer.  I could play around with the lengths of the sleeves a little too, see how it looks with a few extra inches..

Summary
Fabric: Light weight jersey.
Notions: None
Challenges:  None really, really easy construction!  I guess working with jersey was a bit of a challenge as I'd not worked with it before, but I turned out to be easier than expected.
Hours: The second half and a bit of Serenity (about 1 hour.)
Cost: £4 for the fabric
Do it again?:  Absolutely! It's going to be my summer staple tshirt!

13 comments:

  1. Super cute! Thanks for linking up to The Weekly Creative.

    Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! you've inspired me to get out my vintage sewing patterns and have a go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not all as hard as you might think- have a go! xxx

      Delete
  3. I have pinned this now and am going to see what kind of material I have in my stash to make something similar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, please send us a link, I'd love to see your version!

      Delete
  4. Hello!!

    Found you on the blog hop. I am your newest follower. I really love your blog.
    Would you care to give me a quick follow back? :

    http://www.beautybykrysti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! It's great to have you following :D I'll be sure to pop by your blog and check it out :) xxx

      Delete
  5. I am a new follower! Love this top even more because it is from a vintage pattern. Also love your blog - really looking forward to having a better look around!
    Have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!:) Have an awesome day yourself!! xxxx

      Delete
  6. That is a darling pattern-and oh, so sad the second top didn't work out. The fabric is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! I'll find another use for the fabric xxx

      Delete
  7. This is awesome. I would love it if you would come link up at my new linky party!

    http://craftgeekjj.blogspot.com/2013/02/time-to-bring-back-linky-to-craft-geek.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've linked up! Thanks for e invitexxx

      Delete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...