Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Finally Finished Simplicity 2443

I first told you about this pattern in this post, two months ago.  At the time I had got the skirt and the body of the dress together, I just needed to put the straps on and hem it.  Yet that took me this long just to get round to it.  And I'm not happy at all.  This is my first go at sewing something complicated with a knit fabric, and I don't know how people do it!  I looked up tutorials for advice, tried to utilise my twin needle and still ended up with a messy finish on this item.


I'm really disappointed as I really like the premise of this dress- I love knit fabrics to wear and the shape is casual and lovely.  It promise to be something I would wear a lot!  But it didn't turn out the way I'd hoped and it is one of those projects which makes me feel like a failure- bah!  Reminds me I've only been sewing properly just over a year and I truly am firmly in the beginners category.

The top stitching is all super wonky and ugly, and the fabric is pulled out of shape in various places, they're the main problems, and it really annoys me!


Next time, because I think I will have another go at some point, I'm going to get some light weight interfacing for the waistband to stop it getting distorted, and, in the mean time, I'll practice more with the twin needle so I can get a nice neat finish.  It really has been a disappointment, but at least I've learnt something, eh?


Additional notes; I left out the zip that the pattern calls for as I never see the need in jersey dresses- and this doesn't seem to be the source of any of my issues.  I cut it out at size 14 and didn't need to make any adjustments (that I can see).  I also shortened it by 4 inches; it originally finished just below my knees, which I find to be really unflattering.


I bought the fabric from eBay, 2m for £3/m.  It's a very light weight, poly jersey.  I chose it after seeing a couple of rtw dresses in a similar print.


Modcloth and NewLook (Similar)


It's not so bad from far away, so I'm just glad it's 'wearable'. I will be wearing it over the summer, despite its flaws.  A belt can cover the waist band, and a cardy can cover the neckline.

5 comments:

  1. Arrrr don't be disappointed. You have learnt lots and will know what to do next time. I think it looks good! Sewing is so tricky, if you are a beginner I wouldn't know how to categorise myself, ha ha. At least you are trying challenging things, you could be like me and just make cushions. Lol. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sewing with knits is hard! It takes a lot of practice to get things right. I think you are off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I found you over at make it wear it. I love this dress, I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you'd hoped. It's way better than I could have ever done!

    I'd love for you to come link up at my new link party. It's all about getting your favorite pins repinned - http://www.amouseinmykitchen.com/2013/06/pin-it-proudly-link-party.html

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Just visiting from Make It Wear It. Firstly, it looks fine to me and the pattern will help hide minor flaws too. I think the light weight and poly-ness of the fabric was to blame. Knits can be really variable. Try it in a cotton jersey with a bit of elastane, and if you can, fondle the stuff before you buy. Amanda over at Kitschy Coo also has some great advice about sewing with knits: http://kitschycoo.blogspot.co.uk/p/sewing-with-knits.html Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress is cute! I hear you on the sewing with knits learning curve...it took me a long time to discover what works well for me and my machine. But once you get it, there's no limit to what you can sew!:)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...