Sunday, 28 July 2013

Daisy, Daisy, Give Me Your Answer, Do!

I wasn't sure I'd finish this dress in time to share with you by Monday.  And truth be told, I haven't added the details I originally intended too, but that is more to do with my personal tastes than laziness- I really don't like fussy items of clothes.  Well, here it is, my finished 60's dress!




So, construction details :) I took the skirt up by about 4 inches when I cut out the fabric.  It still hits me just below my knee, which I thought was quite odd for a dress from the 1960's.  I used vintage pattern wiki to roughly date the pattern to '65, but if anyone knows better, please, enlighten me.  I also left out the side bust darts, as I thought they were unnecessary, later to be proved wrong, too late to add them :(  I'm happy with the fit though, none the less.

And, look! For the first time I used bias binding to finish of most of the internal seem allowances- never have I made a dress this good looking on the inside as well as the out! :D  




I also made a boo-boo when fitting the waist.  I wanted to add a little bit of definition as it was rather baggy at my waist, but estimated where to take the dress in (I was feeling cocky, surely).  I took it in too low down and did the stupidest thing possible- trimmed the excess fabric before trying it on! Dumbass.  I managed to regain about half an inch around my hips with some very careful resewing, but I'm still kicking myself about such a stupid mistake.  I can tell you know there has been a lot of un-picking of stitches in this process.



I used bias binding to finish off the arms, neck and hem, as I'm really not a bag fan of facings.  I like how it worked out, but I'm still working on my bias binding skills- I struggle to maintain a neat line of stitching :s

I wasn't sure how I felt about the length to begin with, but I love it now when paired with heels.  I think it gives a cool, sexy, sophisticated air, what do you think?

All in all, I'm super pleased with how this dress turned out in the end.  I love the silhouette, although it's quite different from what I'd normally gravitate towards.  But, I guess its good to branch out :)



10 comments:

  1. Hello! I just stumbled across your blog from your post on We Sew Retro... I'm more of a 50's gal normally, but this dress is lovely! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your vintage creations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! (re being a 50's girl) But loving the fit of this dress :D Thanks for coming by :D
      Freya May

      Delete
  2. You did a great job. It looks wonderful on you!

    Have fun, Marge R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww Freya May, this dress is absolutely gorgeous! I love the seam finishes, gives the dress avery professional look. (I also have lavender hanging from our living room walls ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D I'm so please I bothered with seam finishes, will be doing them again for sure.
      x

      Delete
  4. I love the print, it just looks gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great Freya May, well done! The length is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy with the length in the end- means I can probs wear it to work when I get a job.
      x

      Delete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...