Sunday, 14 July 2013

Just Something I Whipped Up

I have just had an amazing weekend.  We've been to three parties, Three! On Friday night we had a bbq with just a few friends in our back garden.  It is so nice to live in a place with a garden! I loved our flat, but I've always wanted a garden space to enjoy the sunshine in.  I had a day off work on Friday and spent the day making things to pretty up our little space, as we've only a few flowers and plants around yet.  Check it out!


On Saturday we headed up to Keele, one of our university chaplains is leaving for good so party number two was in her honour.  Another bbq with old friends.  I had a bit of time before we left and 'needed' a new summery dress for the occasion, and I had picked up the perfect skirt for refashioning just last weekend. It was a long maxi-skirt, 100% cotton, with an elastic waist, in L-XL.  Perfect starting point for a refash.

Before-

After-

I used New Look 6749, view D as my starting point, but didn't bother lining it as I really just wanted a very light weight dress. Instead a did a small rolled hem (or whatever you'd call it) around the top of the bodice pieces before sewing it together.  

One of the options (view c) offers the chance to add a trim around the bottom of the skirt, so I lined that up with the line of sequins already on the skirt.  I had to play around with the positioning of the pattern on the fabric, adding a triangle of extra fabric which in tern added extra fullness to the skirt. It also meant that the dress was a lot longer than either the pattern called for or that I'd usually wear, but I've decided that I actually really like it at the length it came out as (mid calf).  




I got a lot of compliments on this dress (always nice :D) and it was perfect for the hot weather!  Win :D

Today is my friend Emma's birthday!  We stayed over hers last night as she also lives near Keele and had a 'Take-Out Picnic' in the beautiful university grounds.  More beautiful weather, and I got to wear my new jersey skirt from last week.  Great food, lots of great friends and, all in all, a really great weekend.  I hope this beautiful weather continues for a long time!!!


8 comments:

  1. Super cute....I think your dress turned out great. And I think the length is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! not bad for a quick bit of emergancy sewing :) x

      Delete
  2. Adorable! The colour is gorgeous and I bet this dress is super comfy! I like the row of sequins on there too. I still have some left but never thought about putting them on a summer dress. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour is totally what sold me on the original skirt, that and the pattern on the fabric. Sequins work perfectly on summer clothes, I would love to see how you incorperated them.
      x

      Delete
  3. Amazing! I love that fabric. Thanks so much for linking up on Homemade Ginger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric is totally what drew me to the orginal garment! Love it :D
      x

      Delete
  4. Such a cute dress. I especially love the straps. That is one area I have been lacking in with my refashions lately. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just knew this pattern would be perfect for this refashion Thanks for stopping by :)x

      Delete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...