Friday, 18 October 2013

Finished Project- Airelle Blouse

Last Saturday I had a full blown cold going on- I felt like one giant ball of grossness.  So I used it as an excuse not to leave my sewing space all day! (It's in the kitchen- warm and close proximity to tea).  From my pile of A/W sewing projects I plucked the Airelle Blouse, by Deer and Doe to put together.  I was really excited, this is my first foray into using independent patterns.  I cut out a size 40 and went for the whole thing, sleeves, collar and all.



I used this fabulous lightweight fabric, which I think is 100% cotton.  I love polka dots!  I found this in one of the vintage shops in Leicester's city centre, £5 for about 3 meters.  It was only about 30" wide, so I knew it was pretty old.  This meant I was a little nervous about cutting into it, but I was super careful and and took care when making it up to make sure I made something I would be really happy with.  As it was so narrow, I had to use the whole thing just to make this top, there really was just scraps left over.


I had absolutely no issues with construction, the instructions were clear and the everything went together really easily.  Even the sleeves went in with minimal fuss, and seeing that this was only the third time I've set in sleeves (and I had major issues last time), I was dead pleased!  I used French seams on the bodice and the sleeves, fake flat felled seams on the front yoke and top stitched the back yoke piece.  I'm really pleased with the finish, looks great! :D



The only seams I haven't finished neatly are the ones at the sleeve to body join, any advice on finishing them neatly, please?

So after finishing this on Saturday, I've warn this top three times already- I love it!!  It goes well with a skirt, tucked in, or with jeans- versatile!  I was a little unsure about the fit at first because I usually wear more fitted clothes, but once I got used to the baggier fit I was perfectly happy.  I'm fully planning on making a second and third version already.  The next top will be in this beautiful silky, floral cotton from John Lewis haberdash, and then I'm going to make it in to a dress! So excited already!

11 comments:

  1. This is cute. I love your vintage fabric find. I always find armhole seams difficult to finish neatly. I have used a bias tape to enclose the whole lot, but that can lead to very stiff seams with the added bulk, so you need something soft and fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it really was a find! thanks for the advice too, I'll figure it out xxx

      Delete
  2. Hope you are feeling better - best medicine is always to sew up something fantastic! Love your top - can't wait to see the next versions ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling so much better now :) I can't wait to make the next versions :D lol
      x

      Delete
  3. lovely! the fabric is perfect with the pattern! for armhole seams i have previously graded the seam and then wrapped the longer side over the shorter and stitched. so like a turned and stitched finish but in the round. does that make sense? or you could use bias tape?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what a turned and stitched finish is! but I'll look it up and see If it'll work :D xxx

      Delete
  4. Beautiful!!! A fabulous functional project:)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D I love it soooo much! x

      Delete
  5. This is super awesome! I'm not much of a top person but I feel inspired to make my own now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a really good pattern, looking back at my other atempts at tops, I've really not been successful, but this one is for the win!! x

      Delete
  6. This is such a lovely blouse! I have decided to keep a look out for blouse patterns to wear over summer, and this one would be perfect with a bit of a shorter sleeve.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...