Wednesday, 16 October 2013

Knitting Update- Finished My First Jumper!

25So, I might not have updated you on my knitting progress since May, and some of my newest followers
might not realise I even had a knitting project on the go- because it was such slow progress I got a little
disheartened and didn't feel like sharing.  But over the last couple of months I've picked it up again and, really quickly actually, finished my first ever hand knitted jumper! Check it out!



I love it so much! It's all warm and snuggly, and despite the multitude of mistakes, holes and general errors (one sleeve is a full two inches longer than the other :s), I think it is perfect! 



I used a Hayfield pattern (9701) and Robin Picasso chunky wool; I can not remember the colour though- It's blue and cream flecky, you know, the colour in the pictures! It was a great jumper to start with, I had very few issues with the general construction, it just used stocking stitch throughout the body and sleeves, and 1x1 ribbing for the wrist bands etc.  


I had some trouble with the neckband, as you can see at the point of the V- it's not nearly as sharp as it should be.  My mother-in-law was on hand at every difficult step, and I owe her so much for all the tutorials and rescues she's provided when things got tricky, like when I dropped stitches.  Actually, I had put it all together, finished the neckband and sewn up the raglan, very proud of myself, when I realised that, somehow, I had made the neck band way too small.  There was no way I was going to fit my head through it, so that was another example of her coming to my rescue.  She took off my attempt and got me started on it again, making sure I had actually picked up enough stitches from the body and arm pieces, and taught me how to cast of loosely (it's not hard, I just did it really tight).


I am totally making this jumper again, like I said right at the beginning, I'm planning on making a Mrs Weasley style jumper with this pattern, and knitting in some initials so I can be cool like Harry Potter.  However, that won't happen in time for Christmas, so I've have to make Dave a different present this year (I'm sure he's ever so disappointed, lol).


I have, however, started work on  my next knitting project- the Marion cardigan, by Andi Satterlund, on Ravelry.  I love the style of a lot of her patterns, so when I master decoding American knitting notions I will probably make them all! (not really, well.. maybe)  So, I'll resurrect knitting updates for this new project (and try not to forget about it again!).

1 comment:

  1. good work! there's a lot of work in knitting a jumper. i need to choose my winter project soon too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love getting comments, so please, let me know what you think! I always try and respond to everyone.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...