When I stumbled across the Dolly Clackett blog, I fell in love instantly. No word of a lie. I had found some one who not only has a style I *wish* I could pull off, she also produces a new dress each week- that level of output is to be admired! I've reading Roisin's blog for about a year now, and just recently I have made up a dress directly inspired by one of her creations, my Sweet Poppy Dress. And, we've both made dresses in the amazing balloon print cotton (her's and mine). So, when the Sew Dolly Clackett contest, hosted by Sarah was announced, I had to make something special.
Inspiration is not hard to find, Roisin has a handy Handmade Wardrobe link which takes you to full photos of all her gorgeous creations. A quick browse through really got me ready to sew something a little bit wacky and off the wall.
Well I've taken my inspiration from the Madarch Dress, made in Cath Kidson toad stools fabric, from the Elisalex dress bodice and a pleated skirt from Simplicity 2444 (She's the queen of mashups!)
For my dress, it was important for me to channel Roisin's style, but make something that I'm actually likely to wear. I love and covet her style, but it isn't something I tend to wear on the day to day. So, this is what I've come up with-
I've chosen the strawberry print fabric from Cath Kidston. I love the print because it is just so summery! It makes me want to go strawberry picking, even though I know it gets stupidly expensive and it's better to pick some up at the market. None the less, yummm, strawberries!
I thought about using my tried and tested Simplicity 4070, but instead went for a variation on a theme with New Look 6020. Both are princess seamed bodices, but NL6020 continues the princess seams on the back of the bodice, and comes with a beautiful back neckline option- which I totally went for. Then, in true Dolly Clackett style, I paired it with a full circle skirt.
The dress came together really easily, I used the facings as instructed, and only made a couple of changes once I'd finished to the bodice- I took an inch off of each shoulder and took in the right side of the bodice in by two inches because the zip was already inserted and I didn't want to unpick it. These small changes took the dress to being an ill fitting 'meh' of a dress to a lovely, twerly 'whoop' of a dress.
The pattern didn't include lining for the skirt, so I didn't, which I might change next time- but really, what I need is to buy/make a fluffy puffy petticoat to show of the circle skirt properly!
Love the back on this dress :D